Showing all posts tagged #ui:

GSoC Week 9: Flag Particles and Synced Scoring

Posted on July 18th, 2018

It's 9 weeks into Google Summer of Code and things are progressing! This week I worked on some different additions to the Capture the Flag gameplay. First off, I fixed the problem I was having last week with held items not having the right components for checks--specifically, not being able to search for if a flag has a BlackFlagComponent, for instance, if I am trying to see if it is a black flag. I found out that adding@AddToBlockBasedItemto a given component would allow that component to b...

GSoC Week 8: Scoring Goals and Second Evals

Posted on July 12th, 2018

Another week has passed for Google Summer of Code, and more work has progressed! This week I've largely been working on changes to last week's code based on suggestions for refactoring, and adding in components to help with various checks and code clarity. I've gone through much of the code for the AttackSystem and ScoreSystem to make it more understandable, and to add some needed null hardening. One of the biggest stumbling blocks for this week, though, has been an issue of detecting comp...

GSoC Week 7: Completing the Gameplay Loop

Posted on July 4th, 2018

So far I've been working on getting the bare bones working for the main Capture the Flag gameplay. This week I worked on more improvements to this, to get the game into a more playable state. Firstly, I focused to improvements for having players drop and pick up the flag. Before, when a player tagged another, the other player would only drop the flag they had if it was being held. I instead search through the player's inventory to see if there is a flag in there, and if so, it is dropped. ...

GSoC Week 4: Merges, Scores, and First Evaluation!

Posted on June 14th, 2018

This week was the first evaluation for Google Summer of Code! The process so far has definitely been one of learning, but it's also had some hiccups and frustrations along the way. It's been nice to be able to look back and see all of what has been done so far, and what's ahead of me. This week I started working on the code for scoring, but it ended up being a bit more complicated than I initially thought. I set up a UI element for displaying the score, and have this text updated at the beg...

Devi Acharya

Thoughts and projects in the realm of games, tech, and interactive media. Check out more of my work at