Posted on August 2nd, 2018
It's hard to believe that Google Summer of Code is almost over!
This week I focused mainly on getting the particle effects for when the player is holding the flag working across multiplayer, so that the host and any joined clients were in sync. One of the problems with the code is that the adding and removing of the particle effects happened in a lot of different places--when the player was attacked, when the player pressed `E` to pick up a flag, etc. I got rid of this redundancy by just hav...
Posted on July 12th, 2018
Another week has passed for Google Summer of Code, and more work has progressed!
This week I've largely been working on changes to last week's code based on suggestions for refactoring, and adding in components to help with various checks and code clarity. I've gone through much of the code for the AttackSystem and ScoreSystem to make it more understandable, and to add some needed null hardening.
One of the biggest stumbling blocks for this week, though, has been an issue of detecting comp...
Posted on July 4th, 2018
So far I've been working on getting the bare bones working for the main Capture the Flag gameplay. This week I worked on more improvements to this, to get the game into a more playable state.
Firstly, I focused to improvements for having players drop and pick up the flag. Before, when a player tagged another, the other player would only drop the flag they had if it was being held. I instead search through the player's inventory to see if there is a flag in there, and if so, it is dropped.
Posted on June 28th, 2018
This week I've been focusing on some of the fundamental code for the Capture the Flag game mode--getting combat mechanics working between players. It's important for players to be able to interact with one another, and this code (and the mechanics they entail) will be important to how people play and enjoy the game.
The main idea behind the PvP is that players can use a weapon to tag other players, causing them to drop their flag if it is being held.
To begin, I created a new weapon for t...
Posted on June 21st, 2018
After trials and tribulations this week, I've gotten the score system working! I had started some of the base code for the score system last week, but didn't realize how much more time it would take to puzzle the whole thing out. I changes up the base rasterizer and prefabs so that each of the base blocks have a team faction attached to them. I also added a component to them that allows them to be activated, and so that when they are activated they trigger a check to see if the activator (pla...
Posted on June 14th, 2018
This week was the first evaluation for Google Summer of Code! The process so far has definitely been one of learning, but it's also had some hiccups and frustrations along the way. It's been nice to be able to look back and see all of what has been done so far, and what's ahead of me.
This week I started working on the code for scoring, but it ended up being a bit more complicated than I initially thought. I set up a UI element for displaying the score, and have this text updated at the beg...